189-11 Airport Environmental Planning Expert (Prospective Post)
1. Experience (5 or more years), rising to a senior level of responsibility, in the planning, direction, administration and management of environmental programmes within a national/international aviation organization;
2. Familiar with the Action Plan concept from the ICAO Doc 9988 “Guidance on the development of State’s Action Plans on CO2 Emissions Reduction Activities” and good knowledge of the ICAO publications on Environment including the Annex 16 of the ICAO Convention;
3. Technical skills to establish a baseline of fuel consumption and CO2 emissions for international aviation for a State; to define/ estimate projected fuel consumption and CO2 emissions for international aviation for a State; and to understand the best measures for States out of the basket of measures to mitigate CO2 emissions;
4. Knowledge of aircraft performance, operational procedures and Air Traffic Management such as PBN, CNS/ATM system CCO, CDO, etc., and market-based measures as they relate to environmental control. Knowledge of the main ICAO policies and regulations in the afore-mentioned areas. Broad knowledge of analysis techniques for the environmental aspects of civil aviation;
5. Knowledge on alternative aviation fuels programme is highly desirable;
6. Ability to assess the benefits, costs and risks related to those measures;
7. Familiarity with inventory techniques for aviation emissions and alternative energy sources;
8. Thorough knowledge of the policy framework and strategic issues facing international civil aviation and the environment and of the activities of international organizations active in related fields, particularly in respect of climate change;
9. Familiarity with the work and relevant legal framework of other international bodies active in the environmental field with relevance to ICAO’s work, in particular the UNFCCC.
1. Judgement/decision–making: Proven ability to take ownership of all responsibilities and to honour commitments, to exercise mature judgment, to recognize key issues and analyze relevant information, to make feasible recommendations and to take sound decisions.
2. Communication: Ability to write clearly and concisely and to present articulate verbal reports.
3. Teamwork: Ability to work with colleagues to achieve the project goals and maintain harmonious working relationships in a multinational environment.
4. Leadership, vision and management of performance: Demonstrated ability to plan and guide the work of a technical team in a multinational environment, to identified priorities and adjust them as required.
5. Client Orientation: Ability to establish and maintain partnerships with external collaborators, to work and advocate effectively in a consensus-based system and to successfully manage and resolve conflict.
6. Commitment to continuous learning: Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in professional field.
7. Technological awareness: Ability to use contemporary office automation equipment, software, databases.
1. Assist state civil aviation authority in development and administration of environmental policies and procedures, training and audit programmes in compliance with state environmental regulations.
2. Prepare environmental studies in support of airport improvement or development projects (such as cultural resource investigations, air quality modeling, wetlands delineations, endangered species surveys, and compatible land use planning studies).
3. Manage compliance with applicable state and local environmental rules and regulations.
4. Make assessments of the ICAO basket of measures to identify mitigation measures applicable to the national aviation context to reduce CO2 emissions, including from airport operations, and provide guidance and support to prioritize the list of measures. Draft report on the recommended measures.
5. Perform site assessments, field investigations, field sampling, other environmental survey activities and activities associated with remediation and mitigation efforts.
6. Collect, compile and analyze data for evaluation and interpretation in the development recommendations of courses of action.
7. Develop, implement and monitor pollution prevention, green initiatives and sustainability policies.
8. Conduct on site environmental inspections of all airport, tenant, contractor and contract personnel operations and premises.
9. Provide training to state CAA staff.
10. Advise and assist the state to prepare their action plan, in applying ICAO related guidance;
11. Assist the state in interacting with stakeholders, convening of working groups, etc.
12. Assist the state in collecting data to establish their baseline.
13. Assist the state to identify the feasible measures that can implemented by the state to address CO2 emissions and improve fuel efficiency from international civil aviation.
14. Assessment of benefits, costs and risks related to those measures.
15. Estimation of expected results related to those measures and future traffic, emissions, and fuel consumption levels.
16. Present written report on a regular basis on the work performed an a final report summarizing all the activities carried out during the consultancy with some suggestion for the future work.
17. Perform other related duties as may be required.
In accordance with the ICAO Technical Co-operation Bureau (TCB) grading system.