189-4 Air Traffic Management (ATM) Expert (Prospective Post)
1. University degree or appropriate professional qualifications in the field of air traffic management.
2. At least ten years experience as tower, approach/area procedural and radar controller at a busy international airport or area control centre (ACC).
3. At least ten years experience at a senior or supervisory capacity, in air traffic management in a sizable civil aviation authority, air navigation services provider or airport.
4. In-depth knowledge of ICAO Annexes 2 and 11, 12 as well as ICAO Doc 4444, Doc 9859, Guidance Material on the Development of an SMS Implementation Plan For Service Providers, and ATM related ICAO Manuals (Doc 9426, 9432, 9433, 9554, 9574, 9613, 9689, 9694, 9731, 9750 and ICAO circulars.
5. Experience in the development and application of ATS safety management systems.
6. Experience in a state CAA in providing ATS safety oversight (inspections, audits, surveillance) or similar experience in an international consulting organization in providing such service on behalf of a state will be an essential qualification.
7. Minimum ten years experience including experience as a licensed and rated controller and in progressively more complex ATC activities including two years practical supervisory and management planning experience at the national or regional headquarters level.
8. Government experience in the preparation and issuance of regulatory documentation including operational and procedural manuals for air traffic service.
9. Supervisory experience in automated en-route and terminal radar control and data-link systems; full understanding of their relationships to ATS movement and other statistics and the importance of these in forecasting trends.
10. Familiar with FIR and airspace organization and coordination, including adjacent airspaces; airspace planning; the use and planning of radar and conventional aids; the preparation of AIP's, Notams, and holding and approach criteria and charts; planning route networks; traffic demands; crossings and mergings.
11. Knowledge of the administration and operation of the aeronautical telecommunication services and of the implementation of the ICAO Regional Plans.
12. Demonstrated administrative, managerial and planning abilities.
13. Good knowledge of appropriate ICAO documents.
14. A good command of oral and written English, French or Spanish is essential.
1. Judgement/decision–making: Proven ability to take ownership of all responsibilities and to honour commitments, to exercise mature judgment, to recognize key issues and analyze relevant information, to make feasible recommendations and to take sound decisions.
2. Communication: Ability to write clearly and concisely and to present articulate verbal reports.
3. Teamwork: Ability to work with colleagues to achieve the project goals and maintain harmonious working relationships in a multinational environment.
4. Leadership, vision and management of performance: Demonstrated ability to plan and guide the work of a technical team in a multinational environment, to identified priorities and adjust them as required.
5. Client Orientation: Ability to establish and maintain partnerships with external collaborators, to work and advocate effectively in a consensus-based system and to successfully manage and resolve conflict.
6. Commitment to continuous learning: Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in professional field.
7. Technological awareness: Ability to use contemporary office automation equipment, software, databases.
1. Undertake a complete analysis of the present ATM system.
2. Provide recommendations for upgrade of the present ATM system including airspace organization.
3. Provide recommendations for the national implementation of an ATM safety management system.
4. Provide recommendations to improve human resource planning and development.
5. Provide recommendations for training in areas of quality control, inspectors and auditors, once they are identified.
6. Asses the ATC procedures and make recommendations for upgrade.
7. Assess the CNS system and make recommendations for upgrade.
8. Perform other related duties.
In accordance with the ICAO Technical Co-operation Bureau grading system.