189-4 Air Navigation Services (ANS) Expert (Prospective Post)
1. University degree in one or more of the major fields of civil aviation or related air navigation field, preferably in air traffic control services, or equivalent qualifications and experience;
2. Detailed knowledge of relevant ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices as well as Regional Air Navigation Plans and their implementation;
3. Familiarity with ICAO Annexes 1,2,3,4,5,7,9,10,11,12,13,14,15 and 17 and with related procedures and guidance material;
4. At least ten years progressive aviation professional experience involving aviation air navigation services planning and regulatory compliance, in a sizeable civil aviation authority, air carrier or airport;
5. Experience in the establishment of air navigation operational training requirements and in the evaluation of training programmes with reference to such requirements;
6. Substantial experience with the planning, development, implementation and operation of air navigation facilities, services and procedures;
7. Experience with ICAO regional and global planning processes;
8. Experience in the planning and operation of search and rescue services;
9. A good command of oral and written English, French or Spanish is essential.
1. Judgment/decision–making: Proven ability to take ownership of all responsibilities and to honour commitments, to exercise mature judgment, to recognize key issues and analyze relevant information, to make feasible recommendations and to take sound decisions.
2. Communication: Command of the English language. Ability to write clearly and concisely and to present articulate verbal reports.
3. Teamwork: Ability to work with colleagues to achieve the project goals and maintain harmonious working relationships in a multinational environment.
4. Leadership, vision and management of performance: Demonstrated ability to plan and guide the work of a team of administrative staff members and to provide for staff morale, motivation, training and performance management in a multinational environment, to identify priorities and adjust them as required.
5. Client Orientation: Ability to establish and maintain partnerships with external collaborators, to work and advocate effectively in a consensus-based system and to successfully manage and resolve conflict.
6. Commitment to continuous learning: Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in professional field.
7. Technological awareness: Ability to use contemporary office automation equipment, software, databases.
1. Ensure operational safety of airports and air navigation facilities and services.
2. Carry out all safety, security and facilitation related regulatory and inspectorate functions in respect of Annexes 2, 3, 4, 5, 7,9,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 17.
3. Implement the ICAO USOAP Corrective Action Plan, perform a comprehensive evaluation of the ANS deficiencies and initiate improvements.
4. Co-ordinate and direct all the functions of the ANS Directorate which include but not limited to the regulatory and inspectoral functions of ATM, CNS, Aerodromes Safety, Facilitation and Aviation Security.
5. Manage the air navigation services functions and perform operational supervision of the associated departments, including the development of operational instructions and other documentation.
6. Develop policies, procedures and regulatory measures for the ANS Directorate.
7. Plan, develop and implement ANS human resources recruitment, retention and training plan.
8. Evaluation of the compatibility of formal ATC training programmes with ATC operational training requirements; revision and updating of such requirements.
9. Initiate action aimed at achieving efficient and effective implementation of the Regional Air Navigation Plan requirements.
10. Development and update of existing operational requirements.
11. Co-ordinate with users, other government agencies and neighbouring states, as required on ANS requirements;
12. Prepare detailed work plans;
13. Prepare reports as required; and
14. Perform other related duties as may required.
In accordance with Technical Co-operation Bureau (TCB) grading system.