189-15 Director of Civil Aviation (Prospective Post)
1. University degree or equivalent professional qualifications in one or more of the major fields of civil aviation.
2. Minimum of 15 years experience with a civil aviation administration at managerial level, responsible for planning of national civil aviation development or equivalent professional experience.
3. Substantial experience with multi-disciplinary policy and strategy formulation and planning in the civil aviation environment.
4. Familiarity with major economic and technological trends in civil aviation such as: commercialization of civil aviation organizations and airports; economic liberalization; airline consolidations; ICAO CNS/ATM concepts, and harmonization of air safety regulations.
5. Experience with civil aviation organization structuring and human resource planning and development, including manpower requirement assessments and planning of civil aviation training.
6. Familiarity with the needs of developing states; proven organizational, administrative and managerial ability and proven ability to foster good working relationships with department of civil aviation staff.
7. A good command of oral and written English, French or Spanish is essential.
1. Judgment/decision–making: Proven ability to take ownership of all responsibilities and to honour commitments, to exercise mature judgment, to recognize key issues and analyze relevant information, to make feasible recommendations and to take sound decisions.
2. Communication: Ability to write clearly and concisely and to present articulate verbal reports.
3. Teamwork: Ability to work with colleagues to achieve the project goals and maintain harmonious working relationships in a multinational environment.
4. Leadership, vision and management of performance: Demonstrated ability to plan and guide the work of a technical team in a multinational environment, to identified priorities and adjust them as required.
5. Client Orientation: Ability to establish and maintain partnerships with external collaborators, to work and advocate effectively in a consensus-based system and to successfully manage and resolve conflict.
6. Commitment to continuous learning: Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in professional field.
7. Technological awareness: Ability to use contemporary office automation equipment, software, databases.
1. Review related civil aviation planning carried out by or on behalf of the government.
2. Within the framework of existing relevant government regulations and planning efforts and taking particular note of development in other sectors in the country as well as of related planning in neighbouring countries, develop a draft national civil aviation development framework for the period required, broadly outlining the necessary development in the major disciplines mentioned above.
3. Prepare outline financial proposal for major capital investments institutional and human resource developments projects.
4. Present and discuss with the government authorities and draft civil aviation development framework and outline financial proposals.
5. Provide a civil aviation development framework to the government, fully reviewed and endorsed by ICAO.
6. Perform other related duties as may be required.
In accordance with the ICAO Technical Co-operation Bureau (TCB) grading system.