189-9 National Aviation Security (AVSEC) Expert (Prospective Post)
1. At least six years of experience in an airline, airport, government or civil aviation organization with supervisory and instructional experience in air and ground security matters.
2. Proven experience in the planning, organization and implementation of security practices for the safeguarding of civil aviation, aerodromes and facilities, appreciation of the legal basis of AVSEC and restricted articles regulations.
3. Knowledge of the principles of operation and use of security devices and equipment including surveillance, detection and intrusion alarm systems in relation to purely domestic, mixed and international regulations.
4. Ability to organize and implement bomb threat response procedures. anti-hijacking procedures and other aerodrome security measures.
5. Working knowledge of ICAO Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) relevant to the Aviation Security specialty; i.e., ICAO Annex 17 to the Convention on ICAO (Chicago Convention), ICAO Security Manual for the Safeguarding of Civil Aviation from Acts of Unlawful Interference (Doc 8973).
6. Familiarity with ICAO AVSEC Training Programme and ICAO Annexes 6, 9, 14 and 18.
7. Experience of working in the environment of a developing country is desirable.
8. A good command of oral and written English, French or Spanish is essential.
1. Judgment/decision–making: Proven ability to take ownership of all responsibilities and to honour commitments, to exercise mature judgment, to recognize key issues and analyze relevant information, to make feasible recommendations and to take sound decisions.
2. Communication: Ability to write clearly and concisely and to present articulate verbal reports.
3. Teamwork: Ability to work with colleagues to achieve the project goals and maintain harmonious working relationships in a multinational environment.
4. Leadership, vision and management of performance: Demonstrated ability to plan and guide the work of a technical team in a multinational environment, to identified priorities and adjust them as required.
5. Client Orientation: Ability to establish and maintain partnerships with external collaborators, to work and advocate effectively in a consensus-based system and to successfully manage and resolve conflict.
6. Commitment to continuous learning: Willingness to keep abreast of new developments in professional field.
7. Technological awareness: Ability to use contemporary office automation equipment, software, databases.
1. Assess the adequacy of existing aviation security arrangements and organization in the country taking into account the position of the State as it concerns ratification of the Tokyo, The Hague and Montreal Conventions and the need to strike a balance between AVSEC measures and facilitation of air travel.
2. Correct AVSEC deficiencies as revealed by the Universal ICAO Aviation Security Programme.
3. Advise on planning and assignment of responsibilities, establishment of Aviation Security Units and the organization required to develop or improve an Aviation Security Programme, including any particular security problems of specific aerodromes.
4. Develop the details of a Security Plan and further Aviation Security documentation, where required.
5. Review security measures presently in use for the protection of mail and air cargo, cooperation with other States and private security agencies where relevant. Advise and develop guidelines for inclusion in the National Civil Aviation Security Programme (NCASP).
6. Review security measures taken aboard aircraft in flight and anti-hijacking procedures, security devices and systems used, information and intelligence collection and dissemination procedures.
7. Produce planning documentation in a format for subsequent inclusion in the NCASP.
8. Propose any AVSEC-related organization and manpower development plans for inclusion in the NCASP, including cost estimates and training plans.
9. Organize, prepare and present training courses.
10. Perform other related duties as may be required.
In accordance with the ICAO Technical Co-operation Bureau (TCB) grading system.